Estômbar (about 5,000 inhabitants) was an independent community in the county of Lagoa until 2013. In the year 2013 it has been unified with the community Parchal and both form now the União das Freguesias de Estômbar e Parchal. The administrative seat is Estômbar.
Coordinates: 37° 9′ N, 8° 29′ W
The small town is situated between Lagoa and Parchal.
Estombar is a typical Portuguese small town, which, although only a few kilometers away from the Atlantic and from dream beaches, is scarcely influenced by tourism. The locality lies by the rail line and disposes of a railway station.
In the heart of the town the streets are very narrow and winding. Getting a parking space is quite difficult.
Typical houses line the narrow streets. Often they are partly covered with Azulejos (painted and fired tiles). The Museu da Junta de Freguesia de Estômbar shows objects being typical for the region. The opening hours depend on the season.
Coordinates: 37°08’41.9″N 8°29’03.5″W
The market hall is signposted from the main street on and can be easily seen. Sufficient parking places are at disposal.
The range comprises: freshly caught fish, meat products, bread and pastry as well as fruit and vegetable from the region.
Parque Municipal do Sítio das Fontes
About 4 km north of Estômbar (by the road towards Silves) are wells flowing into the near Arade.
Coordinates: 37°09’43.2″N 8°29’10.8″W
The park is well signposted from Estômbar on.
The area is freely accessible, and there is a workout course (with suggested exercises), a children’s playground and solid paths for walks.
The old tidal mill has been restored and is functioning. Often one can watch rare bird species, as e. g. flamingos or various types of herons.
A big picnic area is at visitor’s disposal. Charcoal grills are available and can be used.
Igreja Matriz de Estômbar
The church is situated upon a built-up hill in the town center. Originally constructed at the beginning of the 16th century, it has been newly erected after the earthquake of 1755.
The interior of the church is covered with painted tiles of 1719. The church is open only for mass and can be visited on this occasion.