Igreja Santa Maria
The church is situated on the square > Praça do Infante < at the eastern edge of the pedestrian area of Lagos.
Coordinates: 37°06’00.5″N 8°40’14.7″W
Unpretentious from the outside, the building surprises in its inside with a complete renovation and with images of the saints that are of impressing brightness.
The church was built in the 15th century. Henry the navigator lied here in repose until the earthquake of 1755. Due to the heavy damages and the related repair work it became necessary to transfer the remains to the Mosteiro da Batalha (about 120 km north of Lisbon) where they are up to date.
Capela de São João Baptista
The Capela de São João Baptista (chapel of John the Baptist) was finished in the year 1174, nearly completely destroyed during the earthquake of 1755 and has been reconstructed in 1805 in different form. Today no more church services take place in it.
Coordinates: 37 ° 6 ‘N 8 ° 40’ W